January 22 marks a bittersweet milestone: the 50th anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the Supreme Court case that granted the right to abortion federally. This year, however, the ruling no longer stands, having been overturned almost exactly six months earlier in another Supreme Court decision that allowed for the devastating dismantling of reproductive rights. As of this post, abortion is fully banned in a dozen states with restrictions and limited access either in effect or in the courts in other states.
As supporters of reproductive rights, Thrive Causemetics® was and continues to be deeply disappointed by the 2022 overturning of Roe v. Wade and its widespread, dangerous consequences. As soon as the news broke, we pledged to donate $25,000 to be shared by five organizations nominated by you, our Thrive Causemetics® community. The five nonprofits selected were:
- ARC Southeast, which provides funding and logistical support to ensure Southerners receive safe and compassionate reproductive care including abortion services.
- Indigenous Women Rising, committed to honoring Native and Indigenous People’s inherent right to equitable and culturally safe health options through accessible health education, resources, and advocacy.
- The National Network of Abortion Funds, which builds power with members to remove financial and logistical barriers to abortion access by centering people who have abortions and organizing at the intersections of racial, economic, and reproductive justice.
- Plan C, which transforms access to abortion in the U.S. by normalizing the self-directed option of abortion pills by mail.
- The Brigid Alliance, a referral-based service that provides travel, food, lodging, childcare, and other logistical support for people seeking abortions.
And now, in honor of what should have been the 50th in-effect anniversary of Roe v. Wade, we are reopening our Giving Partner applications for 48 hours.
Tag an organization whose reproductive-health work you’re proud of in the comments of [this Instagram post] to let them know about this opportunity. Together, we can help ensure the reproductive rights of all people across the country.